Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Leon Redbone - Champagne Charlie (1978)


I bought this record several years ago based on a rumour I'd heard implying Leon Redbone was the alter-ego of one Frank Zappa. I had heard only a few songs by Redbone and had never seen a picture of him until hearing this rumour. I remember being totally shocked to find he wasn't a withered old blues man, bred on the delta of the '20's and '30's, and he instantly became more curious to me. I got this record soon after and it promptly became one of my all-time favourites. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in delta blues, jazz, ragtime, or curiosities and weirdos. Very little is known about Leon Redbone, hence the strange rumours of his identity and elusive past, which makes him all the more interesting. Dig this and swoon bellied babies!

"You go your way, I'll go mine..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks, didn't know about this one;grtz najir

enz said...

thanks alot for this one! pure sonic gold. especially for a yodel enthusiast like me.
big blog!

Dead Dog said...

the pleasure is mine!